A twist on a classic, this chia parfait is a step further into the land of healthy breakfast ideas. Colourful, nutritious and most importantly super healthy (hello, low-carb diet plan and Paleo followers!), chia parfait is a colourful way to start your week day mornings, or indeed surprise your family and friends at the weekend brunch. Chia seeds are extremely high in Omega 3 which is an essential fatty acid that our body does not produce, meaning you need to be eating it regularly to avoid a potential deficiency. Deficiency in Omega 3 can lead to unwanted inflammatory conditions like skin disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, and colitis; or it can trigger a genetic predisposition for auto-immune illnesses. Chia seeds are also jam packed with fibre – something that all of us need on a daily basis to keep our cholesterol levels in check and our gut and colon health in good order!
Ingredients: (1 portion)
– 1 small handful of fresh raspberries
– 1 small handful of fresh blueberries
– 2 table spoons of chia seeds (black or white)
– 1 tables spoons of plain yoghurt
– 100ml of filtered or mineral water
– 1 tea spoon of bee pollen
– Stevia (to taste)
1. The night before mix 2 table spoons of chia seeds with 100 ml of water, stir for about 30 seconds and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes stir vigorously one more time, cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
3. The following morning, mash your berries with a fork, preserving a couple for the garnish.
4. Combine mashed berries puree with chia seeds mixture. This should yield an very pretty deep red coloured mixture. Take 2 tables spoons of this mixture and put in a separate container – you will be using it at the last stage of parfait assembly!
5. Mix the mashed berries and chia mixture with yoghurt and stevia.
6. Add bee pollen to the mixture and stir one more time.
7. Fill your breakfast glass or bowl (ideally see-through so that you can see the glorious layers and colours of your parfait) with the chia-yogurt-berries puree-bee pollen-stevia mixture.
8. Top it with your chia-berry puree mixture for a striking contrast.
9. Finally, add your reserved berries to the top of the glass to show off the main ingredients of the dish and to make your healthy breakfast even more luxurious.
If you are a strict Paleo or a vegan then I suggest substituting your regular cow’s yogurt with soya (Alpro) or coconut one (Co Yo). You can also swap raspberries for strawberries or even blackberries if that is your (seasonal) preference. For extra crunchy texture you can add a handful of pomegranate seeds (seriously high in Vitamin C) or 5-6 goji berries to increase your anti-oxidants levels. This is a perfect heathy breakfast idea for someone who is undergoing a short-term ketosis, although minus the berries or fruits. And if you are planning to hit the gym shortly after your healthy breakfast, then add a couple of tea spoons of steel cut oats (uncooked) and you will be feeling very energised throughout your work out!
Wishing you a great health and Bon Appetite.
Disclaimer: please consult your health care practitioner or doctor if you experience any health problems before making drastic changes to your diet and daily eating habits.