This salad is a fantastic healthy lunch recipe if you are experimenting with vegan diet or want to increase levels of plant proteins and turn your eating habits into a balanced diet. Quinoa is a superfood due to its high levels of protein and good fats. It is an ancient seed brimming with B vitamins, Magnesium, Iron and fibre. It is a great idea to include it in your regular repertoire of healthy meals as it is very easy to cook and it goes with most vegetables, grains and herbs. Quinoa has a very mild texture which makes it a great companion to a super crunchy vegetable like carrot.
Ingredients: (2 portions)
– 2 raw medium size carrots
– 1packet of salad leaves, ideally Romaine
– 8-10 sprigs of fresh parsley
– 6 table spoons of cooked quinoa
– 3 table spoons of raw pomegranate seeds
– 3 table spoons cooked chickpeas (tinned are ok)
– 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
– Juice of ½ lemon
– Salt and pepper
1. Boil quinoa according to cooking instructions. Drain and quickly rinse under the cold water to stop cooking process and cool the quinoa seeds. Set aside.
2. Using a food grater finely grate carrots and set aside.
3. In a deep salad bowl assemble salad leaves, grated carrots and cooked quinoa. Mix allingredients well assuring quinoa seeds evenly coat the salad leaves.
4. Add pomegranate seeds, parsley and cooked chickpeas to the bowl and continue mixing all ingredients thoroughly.
5. In a separate bowl mix extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice and then season the dressing with little salt and pepper.
6. Dress the salad, adjusting it according to personal taste.
You can substitute carrots for any other crunchy raw vegetable: finely shredded white cabbage or thinly sliced fennel work really well with the nutty flavour of quinoa. If you want to make it into a winter salad then swap Romaine lettuce for kale or spring greens to make the salad more robust and warming. Quinoa is a great alternative to animal protein as it is very high in both protein and fat. If you are on a dairy-free diet plan then this salad is definitely for you as the combination of quinoa and chickpeas makes this salad a Calcium power house, supporting your body in much needed macro nutrients brilliantly.
Wishing you a great health and Bon Appetite.
Disclaimer: please consult your health care practitioner or doctor if you experience any health problems before making drastic changes to your diet and daily eating habits.