Cottage cheese is a fantastic healthy food that is very often overlooked in favour of yoghurt or yoghurt based snacks. Cottage cheese is incredibly high in protein (14 gr of protein for 100gr of cottage cheese), whilst being low in calories and high in amino acid Tryptophan that keeps our nervous system healthy. Cottage cheese is also high in Vitamin B12 and mineral Selenium which are vital for steady function of our immune system. Give this healthy snack a go- you will keep your protein levels high which will preserve your muscle mass and will keep your metabolic rate burning! A win-win for anyone on a weight loss diet!
Ingredients :(1 portion)
– 200gr of reduced fat cottage cheese
– 1 table spoon of maple syrup
– 2 tea spoons of ground flax seeds
1. Open a tub of cottage cheese and by carefully tilting the tub try to get rid of watery serum that floats on the surface of cottage cheese – this will prevent this snack from going too soggy too quickly.
2. Once the water is drained, place a small plate on top of the tub and tip it upside down so that the tub of cottage cheese sits comfortably on the plate. Carefully tap cottage cheese out of the plastic tub with a fork or spoon.
3. Sprinkle with ground flax seeds on top of the cottage cheese.
4. Pour 1 table spoon of high grade maple syrup on top of the cottage cheese and let the syrup beautifully run over the cheese. Your super healthy snack is ready to be enjoyed!
This healthy snack is perfect for anyone following low carb diet or Paleo diet, or anyone going through ketogenic phase as it is very high in protein and very low in carbohydrates. If you are on a less strict diet plan then you can include some berries as a topping: blueberries, blackberries and strawberries work wonderfully with cottage cheese. You can substitute ground flax for sesame seeds or hemp hearts. If you are on a vegan diet plan, then swap cottage cheese for soya or coconut yoghurt and add more nuts and seeds to boost protein content of is healthy snack.
Wishing you a great health and Bon Appetite.
Disclaimer: please consult your health care practitioner or doctor if you experience any health problems before making drastic changes to your diet and daily eating habits.